Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Battle Cold & Flu Season

I was not paid for this review, however, I was provided products and all opinions stated are that of my own. 

It's that time of year.

The holidays are here; the Christmas music is ringing in our ears, the lights are flashing in our homes, and there is a sort of bliss that surrounds us all. Not to mention the desirable food that leads us to unbutton our jeans and let out a big sigh of relief.

But one thing that also comes along with this time of year is the sniffles, the runny noses, the coughs, and late nights. Never fails, from December through March, my kids have a chronic cold that will inevitably lead to fussy kids and a whiny mama.

With 3 kids under my belt, and many many cold winter months behind us, we have a sort of routine with the kids. A normalcy if you will with these sort of things. I hear a cough, I hear the sniffle, or those watery eyes come around, then we change gears and quickly start he natural healing process.

1. First I ask myself, what is causing the symptoms and is this something serious. Thankfully for us, the answer has always been no. Looking at the child, assessing whether they are just down with a virus, or actually caught something serious is important. When one isn't sure, the answer is to go to the doctor. I fully believe in mama intuition, and thus far, we have been able to avoid the doctor {except for well visits, and 1 case of pink eye and double ear infection}. As long as the kids have still been able to take some fluids {and a little food} down, are able to wake up, converse {and even play sometimes}, and based on their breathing, color, and overall complaints, I am usually able to help them feel better just by staying home, resting, and relieving the symptoms.

2. Humidifier.  Has been a good friend to us since the kids were little. Whenever they are stuffed up, congested, and just not able to sleep well at night due to their illness, I turn our humidifier on and it makes a world of a difference. 

3. Newborn Nasal Aspirator. Wonderful for the little ones that are hard to suction out those yucky little monsters! I'm pretty sure this is a "must" on the baby registry, because all three of my children have put this sucker to good use.

4. Rest, fluids, and plenty of cartoons! My kids know that if they are sick, they get treated like a prince/princess by mommy. They are allowed to be on the couch, everything is brought to them, and they get to pick whatever they want to watch on TV. They deserve it for feeling crummy and being a champ about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye