Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Motherhood life lesson; A Child's Unconditional Love

**A guest post written for a friend months ago, but I wanted to make sure it also made it in my blog book. I know there are a lot of "mommy" and mushy and hearty posts lately... but how could I not post these with all that has been going on? And knowing that any day now, we will be welcoming another little family member into our family.

Motherhood happens to consume 90% of everything I do, how I breathe, prioritize my day, and function as a whole.
Motherhood has also taught me a lot. In the two years that I have been blessed with this role, I have learned more about life than in my previous 24 years here on Earth. Motherhood has changed me. Molded me. Made me stronger, wiser, and more of a delicate individual. Motherhood has opened my eyes, my heart, and my soul. It's taught me patience and determination. It's tested my limits and questioned my actions. It's shown me beauty in the little moments in life.

And motherhood? Well motherhood all began on November 8th, 2010 when I gave birth to my daughter, Elliana. And without her? Motherhood wouldn't exist. All those lessons learned? Wouldn't be there. And so today, I want to focus on one of the most important things that MY daughter has taught ME.

When I initially sat down to think about what the biggest lesson that I have gained from my daughter was, I had a million and one thoughts run through my head. Although all were valid and important in their own way, there was one that stood out to me the most.

A child's unconditional love. I actually had {have} a post sitting in draft about this. I sat at my computer typing it over and over again trying to find the right words to put it all together. And if I'm going to be completely honest here? I still don't have it all sorted through. Because when I think of a child's undconditional love? I get lost. I lose my speech. And I forget how to think. And any way I write it? Brings me to tears.

Because I hit a moment not too long ago, in between the tantrums, frustrations, and the i'm-not-sure-if-i'm-doing-this-right, when I looked at my daughter and realized... wow... this child loves me no matter what. She doesn't compare me to anyone else. In her eyes, I'm her hero. I don't have to always do the right thing, say the right words, do the most fun activities, or buy the biggest toys. In fact, I could do none of those things and she would still love me all the same.

That's the beautiful thing about children, you know. They truly define unconditional love, and there is absolutely no other kind of love out there like it on earth.

So when I think I've failed as a mom....when I've had one of those "oh man" moments... when I feel like I've done it all wrong... I remind myself that my child {and future children} will love me nonetheless. That tomorrow is a new day. And that to them?

We, their parents, are as perfect as perfect gets.


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye