Monday, July 22, 2013

If I Could Be Anything In the World

This week's prompt was If I could be anything in the world. I could have sworn that this week was something else and had already planned out a completely different post in my head. When I saw that this was the topic instead, the first thing that came to mind was, who came up with this? And why.

It's a simple question. A simple prompt. But I felt like I was not capable of answering, and therefore, why did I feel inclined to even have this as a topic. There had to have been a reason.

You see, when I came up with these topics, it was over a span of time and sometimes very random and sporadic. I could be washing the dishes and a thought would come to mind so I ran to the computer and made note of that thought so that I would not forget. I'm assuming that's what happened here.

So I thought pretty darn hard about what I could possibly write about. Actually, to be honest, I was thinking deep in my head about who exactly I wanted to be in this world. The truth is though? If I could be anything... do anything... be anyone, it would be me.

Ahem.

No. I am not saying that I am someone to be desired and looked after as a role model. I never want my life to be viewed as envious by any means. Because my life is as ordinary as ordinary gets. And there is absolutely not a thing wrong with that. I am who I am, proud of who I am, and am in the part of my life that I have always wanted to be. Content. Happy. Family.

So instead of approaching this prompt as If I could be anything... I decided to talk about how when I was younger what I did want to be... when I was growing up...

I wanted to become a teacher. I would take out my stuffed animals and "teach them." Had a little chalkboard, workbooks, assignments, and all. I would talk out loud and it was the best play time I ever had. My little friend down the street would also be my student and I would give her homework assignments to do. I remember telling my dad that I wanted to teach so bad one day. Still do.

Although I'm not a teacher, and although I still have that dream one day {to go back to get my masters and teach at a big University... nursing that is}, I get the opportunity to instead teach my children. Teach them and watch them soak it all in. It's one of the most rewarding moments of motherhood.

I wanted to become a lawyer.  I'm an argumentative person at heart. I love a great debate. I love to speak my mind. And I barely, ever, think I am wrong. Up until I started college, I was convinced that that was what I was supposed to do. I could see myself in the courtroom. Pencil skirt, glasses, and my briefcase sitting at the table {cliche, I know}. I wanted to be the best in the state.

And although that dream will never come true, and one that I no longer have, I get to instead practice law at home. I get to argue with my husband about who changed the last diaper, bring evidence to the table, and have a closing argument about why the evidence speaks for itself. And I get to play detective when searching for the clues of who drew on what wall. In other words, Elliana.

I wanted to become a doctor. To help people. To learn about the human body. To heal. I wanted to become a doctor when I went to college. and nursing was going to just be stepping stone to doing so. I was convinced that this is exactly what I was supposed to do. Then I went to Purdue and had a change of heart. I did not want to put the time in it and new that it was pure dedication to do this. Not to mention, I kind of, sort of, oh yes really, got lazy and slacked off in school.

Instead, I became a nurse. I get to heal, help, and learn about the human body and am just as proud as I ever thought I could be. I get to come to work and love what I do. But most importantly, nursing has allowed me to fulfill the one ultimate dream of mine to the fullest:

Being a mom. Growing up, I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to have a family. Children to call my own. I wanted to be able to leave something behind. Being a mom just felt like something that I was meant to do.

This dream of mine came true 2 and a half years ago and has been the greatest thing to ever have happened in my life.

Twice.




For the complete list of topics: Here

Next Week: If I could Turn Back Time {And Do Something Over}

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! I wanted to be a teacher when I was little and I am one now, but now that I have kids I wish I became a nurse for more flexible hours/better pay. Have to agree that being a mom is definitely one of the best jobs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a teacher as well. I still believe that I was meant to be a mom. That is what I was brought here to do. Hopefully that will happen before the end of the year.

    I always say in my next life I am going to be a surgeon a la Meredith Grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a nurse also, and am so thankful for the flexibility to be both mom and nurse. It lets me have that bit of medicine and a challenge in my life and getting to love on our patients, but be ever present for my son (or at least as present as you can be as a working mom!). I wouldn't change a thing either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to be all those things and a vet, oh and truck driver ( remember the 70's show "BJ & the Bear" where the lead character was a truck driver who had a pet monkey and they stopped bad guys McGyver style every week?) anyway, no job is as challenging, fun or rewarding than "mommy". Simply the best :))))

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye