Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Bullying & Pigs. Two new books on the shelf.

*As part of a member of the Parragon Book Buddy, I am sharing books that we received, however, all opinions stated are that of my own. 

Another month is sneaking up on us, and I have two more great books to share today. Two very different, yet important books. Classic, and new.

When I think of classic, I think of something that can never get old. Something that will stay in no matter how many years pass. For a book, a story that kids will enjoy with every new generation to come.

The Three Little Pigs, is exactly the kind of book that I would describe as classic.

The funny thing is, this is one of our favorite reads. The kids think that it is hilarious when mama or papa make the "wolf" voice and then the laughter only grows when we attempt the sweet little high-pitched "pig" voice. Then they imitate it, and the entertainment turns around to us.

Classic.

What I love though about turning something old into something new is that with time a book can only get better. I love that the author turned this classic story into something fun and interactive for the kids by allowing them to pull the different pages up or to the side to continue reading the story. It's this little suspense that keeps their tiny hands grasping for more.

This book is a definite must on the kids' bookshelves, and one that my oldest has already memorized.

*


And then we have new. There are thousands of new stories and books out there that it would be nearly impossible to keep up with all of them. One thing that we look for however when in search for new books, are books that tell a story or teach us something new. Bullying? Bullying is not something that we ever want to teach our children about, because frankly, we wish it never existed. I don't ever recall coming across books that dealt with bullying as a child because it was never such an issue as it is these days.

But?

I'm glad these books exist, like The Bully and the Shrimp.  I'm glad that I can put pictures and a story to a lesson that is so tough to teach to children. How do you explain that our children may encounter hurt one day? Intentional hurt. How do you explain to them how to deal with it? How do you ensure that they will grow and become better from it?

It's hard to say what the right answers are, but I imagine that it's one of those things that we, as parents, need to always continue to educate our little ones on. Starting at an early age.

Teaching kindness, and forgiveness.

I love that this book does just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye