Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Home.


This past weekend, we had the opportunity to go visit my in-laws new homes. Andrew's parent's new home, and Andrew's sister's new home. First and foremost, it was wonderful to see those that we love and miss. Distance is not our friend.

It reminded us of how wonderful it would be if we all lived close to one another, and how valuable time spent with family truly is. We didn't do a whole lot except hang out and be around each other, and that was more than enough. Surprisingly though, there was another thought that crossed my mind that actually took me back for a second and made me think, why.

Why that thought even entered my head at all.

The thought that, wow, I wish I lived here. Not in those particular states exactly, but more specifically, their beautiful homes. I couldn't help but think that in comparison to those that we love the most, we must seem poor. I know, I wanted to laugh just typing that out. I pondered even saying it, because it sounds so much worse than it means. You see, none of us are poor. The majority of Americans, even with a combined average salary of 40,000, are considered to be "rich" in comparison to other parts of the world. And that, well that is pretty true and eye opening when you think about it.

However, it did not change the fact that this thought still crossed my mind. I looked around my mother-in-law's home and thought, wow, the decorations alone probably cost more than my house. And then my sister'-in-law's home which is 3 times my size, lead me to think… what would I even do with this space? I envisioned a clean slate and going shopping and decorating it. All the space for the kids to run around it. And all the kids I would need to have to even fill the space. My husband's dream of having a man cave, and my own dreams of an office and a craft room.

It all sounds wonderful, and I could sit here and map out each and every room, and each and every piece of art that I would hang on the walls. But who has time for that, and who wants to even hear about it. Because as quickly as that thought crossed my mind, it left even quicker. I was abruptly interrupted by my toddlers, one who needed help in the restroom, and the other who just wanted to be held and kissed.

No complaints there.

So I was brought down to reality. All these thoughts showed me it is okay to be excited for success of those that we love, but also how easy jealousy can spring up on us without you even knowing or better yet, without even inviting it in. But, we are talking about material things here. Wanting something that gives us no sort of love, affection, affirmation, strength, support, or anything else that our actual family members provide for us.

I think it is okay to dream or even want more than we have, but it's even more important to be grateful for what we actually do have. Not just grateful, but happy, content, and proud. Think about how you got where you did, and think about what it took to get there.

So we made the 11 hour drive back to our home, walked in our house, and said... man it feels good to be back. Back to our little old place that brings our little family of four together.  Back to where the dog has ate our garage door, the carpets are 5 years overdue for change, dust in the corners of corners that I never even think to look, and furniture that has gotten beat down over and over again.

But it was ours. And this is where our family has grown. And it's ours. And we feel safe, and we feel warm, and most of all we feel loved here. And...


It's ours.






3 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great trip visiting Andrew's family! I totally hear you on the envy part. Sometimes the line between excitement and envy gets blurred. The internet/Instagram adds to that for me. I have to bring myself back to reality of no two persons are the same. Thanks for the reminder on that :) love and miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with this post. I often find myself envious of other's homes, decor, and even cleanliness. But, then I come home to my modest home where my sweet family lives and I realize that they are all that matters!
    Love this quote:
    "One hundred years from now,
    It won't matter what car I drove,
    What kind of house I lived in,
    How much I had in my bank account,
    Nor what my clothes looked like,
    But, the world may be a little better
    Because I was important in the life of a child."
    Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. Just had very similar feelings this weekend after being at a friend's house. It's easy to let it get to you, but when you stop and look at what you DO have it's easy to forget those feelings! :)

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye