Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What keeps me from getting my best night's sleep.

What keeps me from getting my best night's sleep?
Sleep is an important thing in my life. Seeing as how I work night shift and juggle the daily adventures of toddlerhood and taking care of our home and my loving husband, I don't get quite as much of it as I'd like to. So on the nights that I am off? You better believe I try to make up for all the lost hours of precious sleep.

But in order for me to get the appropriate sleep that I so despirately desire and need, there are certain factors that need to be set forth such as daily "must do's" checked off the list so I'm not constantly thinking about them, my belly nice and full and satisfied, and the husband next to my side as my "big spoon. All of these are crucial in me getting a good nights rest. One thing off? And I'm doomed.

You want to know what will most definitely, 100% gaurantee, me from having a good night's rest?

One word. Elliana.

Yes. That child of mine. I'm not talking about her getting up in the middle of the night. Thankfully she hasn't done that since she was 3 months old. And it's not because she goes to bed late or gets up super early. Thankfully she gets on average 11-12 hours of sleep.

What I'm talking about here... when it involves the "lack of good sleep" department... is her actually sleeping with us.

Now, we have never been fortunate as far as "co-sleeping" goes so we don't even try to push it anymore. On a rare occasion I will attempt it in hopes of her changing, but each and everytime, it's a big fat fail.

The only times that we are forced to "co-sleep" is when we are traveling and she just doesn't do well with the pack-n-play. Not always, but sometimes.

And then my friends, the tossing and turning begins. One minute she's at the foot of the bed, the next she's at the head. One minute she's jabbing me in the stomach, the next my face. And she's loud. Oh man is she loud.

So as a result, we try to avoid this situation as much as possible. And thankfully? We've only had to battle the sleepless nights with the toddler approximately five or six times.


Download a coupon for Zzzquil

 I was compensated for this post as a member of Clever Girls Collective. All the opinions expressed here are my own.


  1. My 2 year old has slept with us since the day she was born. And we're the same way. Why change something that works 99.9% of the time. But the other 0.1%??? Oh man. It can get grouchy around here the next morning! :-)

  2. Our son was the same way. He's the biggest wiggle worm EVER. I couldn't stand when he would come in to bed with us. However, he seemed to grow out of that stage around 2 1/2 (he's 3 now)! Hopefully E will change too and you can all sleep together--- on occasion! :)

  3. Im jealous she slept all night from 3 months on, Vince is 10 months and still doesn't.

  4. We cosleep sometimes, depends on Olivia and if we want to sleep alone or not :) we sleep very well together most of the time, usually during teething we sleep together so we can all actually get sleep! Haha

  5. Our (almost) six month old has been sleeping in our room since he was born in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper (a wonderful invention!). We'll be moving him into a cot in his brother's room in the next few weeks. I am dreading it...I will miss him so much!


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye