Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The difference between the two labor and deliveries

Before my labor, during, and after, I couldn't help but think about how similar yet different my two birth experiences were with my son and daughter. I want to go ahead and jot some of these differences/similarities down so I can closely compare the two.

Would I change anything about either one? Absolutely not.

I think I had two very beautiful birth experiences and I am happy for their differences as I am really able to look back on both days and smile.

Both= Green
First= Pink
Second= Blue

With my both pregnancies, I had "false alarms." With both pregnancies when I went to the hospital, I was told that I wasn't in "active labor." With both pregnancies, they kept me due to my "favorable cervix." With my first pregnancy, I delivered at 39 weeks. With my second, I delivered at 38. To the day.

With both pregnancies I worked an entire shift {well 1 hour left for my second} and then headed to the hospital across the street to deliver. With my first I worked day shift. With my second I worked night shift. With my first, I drove myself across the street. With my second, the doctors made security drive me. Stubborn, I was.

With my first they started pitocin on me {only the smallest dose and had to be turned off}. With my second, I never had pitocin.

With my first my water broke on it's own {the audible POP and gush of fluid}... and that's when everything happened quickly. With my second, the doctor broke my water, and it was just a "trickle."

With both pregnancies, I received the epidural. With my first it was after my water broke and I was in agonizing, excruciating pain {and had gone from 4cm-10cm within 30 minutes}. Therefore, with my first my epidural never fully kicked in, but gave me just enough relief. I could still feel every contraction and control my pushing. With my second I received my epidural before my water was broken, and therefore was not in much pain. However, once I became numb I became anxious {as I had never experienced this with my first} and begged for it to be turned down {it was already at it's lowest dose}. Eventually the medicine wore off and I could again feel the contractions {much more painful than the first time} and knew when to push/control my legs.

With my first delivery, I had 5 people in the room. Andrew, my mom, sister, MIL, and SIL. With my second, just Andrew and myself.

With both pregnancies, I had a mirror out and watched as my babies came out. With both, they required only 3 contractions of pushing.

With both pregnancies, a labor and delivery nurse by the name of Erin had a role during my births. She was my delivery nurse with my first and my triage nurse with my second. So great to see a familiar face. Not to mention... we were sorority sisters in college!

With my first, they had issues with getting Elliana's "shoulder" out. Her right one. All went okay after a few pushes from the doctors on my belly. With my second, no issues at all, however he came out with bruising on his right arm and swelling on right side of face. We later found out he had a broken right clavicle!

With my first, I delivered early in the morning {1:41 am} , with my second, early in the afternoon {2:20 PM}.

With my first, she came out as quiet as can be. With my second, he was a screaming machine instantly!

Although my first was 39 weeks gestation, she came out weighing 6 pounds 15 ounces and 20 inches long. My second at 38 weeks gestation, came out weighing 7 pounds 11 ounces and 21 inches long.

With my first pregnancy I had a first degree tear requiring stitches. With my second, I had an "abrasion" that did not require any kind of stitching and healed on its own.

With both pregnancies, Dr. G was able to deliver my babies. I hope he delivers our next as well :)

15 comments:

  1. I love how you wrote this comparing and showing the similarities! Totally need to do this for my girls!

    Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your births. It was interesting to see the differences and similiarities. Its nice you had the same doctor both times.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing the details! Glad everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this Becky! I loved seeing all the similarities and differences in both births you will treasure this forever! Thanks for comparing and sharing! I didn't realize Graham had a broken clavicle until recently I am so glad he is all healed up! I still get tickled at how you worked all the way up until security took you across the street. You are one dedicated devoted nurse momma wifey and friend! I can relate to stubborn I am stubborn as a mule lol! You look so gorgeous with both pregnancies it suits you well I can't wait to read all about baby number three lol! Love ya girl

    ReplyDelete
  5. i caught that "i hope he delivers our next as well" you threw in there! i love that youre already at least mentioning a third! ;)
    the sweet life of a southern wife

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading the comparisons! Thank you for sharing!!

    Ramblings of a Suburban Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post has me so excited for delivering my second little one! I wonder what it will be like. Great idea and loved the color coding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so cool to see the comparisons! Thank you for the color coordination as well for us idiots who are visual :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun post, great comparisons. Will be fun to look back on, especially once the kids get older :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a good post for you to go back and look at!!

    I love that you didn't stop working prior to birth! I couldn't imagine working up until the birth!! ;-) I would have stopped like a month before!! haha...I'm a wuss like that though!!

    You are an inspiration for all those new moms and those mama to be's!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun comparison. It made me compare my two as well. I just had my second in October-my first is 2.5.

    Funny! I work in the ED and I went into labor during work with both of mine and finished the shifts too. And, my first was day shift and second night shift. And, my first was born early in AM (4:02) and second early in afternoon 1:49. My water also broke on it's own, pop and gush, with my first and my midwife broke it the second, but I still had a gush. My tear was less this time too, but it went from 2nd to 1st degree. Maybe I'll go down to an abrasion next time ;) I had both deliveries without medication, but the stitching is awful. By that point, i was DONE!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye