Friday, December 30, 2011

What a year 2011.

Overall, I think this was the most "un-happening" year in the sense that no drastic life changes were made. In 2010 we found out we were pregnant, bought a home, Andrew graduated grad-school, we had a baby, and our life completely changed in a matter of 365 days. However, 2011 was a complete opposite. There were no big events, no life changes, or anything close to that matter.

It was however the year that we evolved in our role as parents as well as husband and wife, grew as individuals, and really enjoyed this little life that we have begun. I would even go as far as to say that we did pretty good as "first year parents," and building the foundation for our future as well as our children's futures. And that's why I believe that 2011 was just as monumental as 2010.

In its own way.

So what did we do? Well, let's take a look. 

January.

My maternity leave ended and I had to go back to work. This was when I still worked days and Andrew was finishing up graduate school. So he would be home with Elliana during the day and I worked 3 days a week. Day shift. Crushed me. I wrote this post where I really poured out my heart.

Also, I made changes to the blog. Big changes. I changed the design, name, and feel of it. I had a schedule... although I have not stuck to it all year, I do plan on going back to my original thoughts for my blog. More on that later.

February.

This was the month that a big change happened in my life. Where I made the personal decision to start couponing more, researching more, and figuring out how to save more money, make money, and earn free stuff. And I am so happy that I did.

I also made one of the best purchases of my life. And that was the snuza. After reading about multiple SIDS babies, I just lost it at home, was a complete mess, and came to the realization that something, needed to be done. And that's when I met snuza. Snuza met me. And we become best friends for life. We obviously don't use it anymore, as she is much older, but we plan on using it with our future babies as well!


March.

This was a monumental month for me as I made the switch to night shift so that I could be with my baby full time during the day. And I have never regretted it from that day forth. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made and I have loved to watch my baby grow every second of every day. Not missing a single beat.
Also, I remember March being important for my little ol' blog here. There were moments when I had thought about going private, but I quickly realized that this blog is not about keeping secrets or hiding who I am. Instead it's about showing my life, re-living the memories, and capturing the special moments. Plus, add a little bit of sass and laughter in it... and well that to me turns into one of my favorite hobbies to date. Blogging.
April.

April was just a relaxing month for us. Nothing big going on. We were getting very comfortable in this whole "parent" thing. And with me having switched to night shift, I was finally getting the groove of things. And... the baby was finally starting to take naps... 30 minutes or 1 hour at a time... but regardless... she was learning. As was I {how to survive on no sleep}.

I did however learn some lessons of being a mom just a few months in. I wrote about it here.

And of course, it was our baby's first Easter.
May.

My baby turned 6 months old. Half a year. It was big for us. Huge. We turned 6 month parents as well. 6 months breastfeeding also. It was a great month of celebrating these big things happening in our life.
Andrew also graduated from graduate school and we were SO SO proud of him! He even got a big boy job just a couple months prior. We were overjoyed and blessed.

At the same time, I switched units in our hospital and started working in the ICU. I couldn't be happier with where I am at today in my career.

June.

Summer was here. I feel like a brand new woman during this season. It's definitely my favorite season. I am always the happiest. And now that we have this little bundle of joy? It makes it even 10 times better. Because I get to enjoy it with her.
I also discovered something absolutely amazing. This stuff is DA-BOMB {I just love saying this, as I know it will embarrass me 10 years down the road... er.. or 1}. And you know what, it's even awesome in the winter time! I can't drink any other beer now. Once you go BLL... you can't go back.
Elliana also said "Mama" for the first time. My heart melted guys. Blob. On.The.Ground. That would be my heart.

We also left Elliana for the weekend for the first time ever to go to Andrew's sister's wedding in Arizona. It was hard, but we survived.

July.

Birthday month. This was my golden year. I turned 25 on the 25th. I have a beautiful home, a handsome husband, and blessed with a precious daughter. I have my health, and my family nearby. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. It was a good birthday to say the least.

Our AC also broke this month. And that was torture unbearable to describe. We also had issues with the company our insurance people set us up with. A hot mess {ha} it became. We fired those people and went onto the next. And 9,000 dollars later {somehow we ended up replacing our working furnace too?} and we were living like humans again.

August.

We celebrated our second year wedding anniversary. And we recapped what an amazing 2 years of marriage we had. And another 70 more to go. If not more.
September.

Elliana got to go to the zoo for the first time ever! It was such a fun family affair, and we can't wait to go back again in the spring.
October.

Elliana had her first halloween. She was the cutest little cow on earth.
November.

Our baby turned 1. We celebrated the year that marked the best time of our life. Our lives truly began the day she was born. And it has been magnificent since.

We also celebrated Thanksgiving with both my parents and Andrew's parents. And Elliana started walking!

December.

We wrapped up the year with Christmas, and it was magical. It was everything I could have asked for it to be. And we are so thankful for the year that we have been blessed with. The gift of life is what we are most truly thankful for.

40 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog and have loved this recap...perfect post for a new reader! Can't wait to read more... I'm a nightshift RN, too! Hope 2012 brings you lots of happiness and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great year! It's amazing just HOW much they change in one year!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing 2011 for you and your family! I started a post like this last night going month by month as well! I can not believe that in a couple days a whole new year will begin! I hope 2012 is filled with even more beautiful moments and memories for you and your family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I do a year in pictures every year on my blog too. I enjoy looking at others years so much! It's cool to review. Best wishes for a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you all had a fantastic year. It was our first year with no big events, too - but like you said...we sort of 'came into our own' as far as being parents and getting used to our new normal - which is a big change in itself! Can't wait to see what 2012 holds for your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a perfect year! I love your blog!

    Liz

    http://itzalovestory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful year you've had with your family. I started reading your blog this summer and just love following along with you. I'm so glad you didn't make your blog private! Just curious, what did you blog use to be called?

    Hope you all have a fabulous new year's weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE that photo in July. Love it!

    Here's to 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome year! My favorite is the August pic! I can't wait to do my "Top Events of 2011" post on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like y'all had an absolutely wonderful year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Post! I can't get over how beautiful your family is... your daughter should be a little model! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! PS - I commented on your January post because I could very much relate and couldn't help myself :)!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a prefect year you have had!

    You are truly one of my fave bloggers and I look forward to reading more in 2012.

    Hoping to jump on the mama bandwagon RIGHT after our wedding ;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great year!! Loved following you along with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey sweet momma, it may not of been a year as DRAMATIC as 2010 (we had the same years!) but 2011 was filled with so much joy and beauty!

    I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for you and your adorable family!!! (another baby?!) hehe...

    I'm so glad I found you over a year ago--you're a great mom and an inspiration to all!!

    Sending yall lots of love and happiness to ring in this NEW YEAR!!!

    <3 HK & Kie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this recap!! You have a beautiful family & I am so glad I found your blog!! I just did this on my blog, so fun to look through all of the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved reading the recap to get to know you better since I am a newer reader. I am glad you didn't go private! It seems like it has been a nice year for you three!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please tell me your secret! How do you cope on no sleep AND look as good as you always look?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awe, this is such an awesome post! I really enjoyed taking a look at your past year, and I'm so glad your blog never went private or I would never have found your blog! I hope you guys had a very Merry Christmas!
    ♥ Kyna

    (and, just like jessi, I am also wondering how in the heck you manage a crazy schedule like that and always look so beautiful!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey becky i saw you started following my blog, henning love! thank you so much!! happy to get to know you, looks like you had a terrific year! wishing 2012 is even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your daughter has grown so much over the course of the year! Wow! And that decision to start couponing more was a good one. I did it for a while and got tons of free stuff. I need to pick it up again but I did it way too much and couldn't turn down a deal and ended up spending way too much time and money on little things that we didn't end up using.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an awesome year you've had! :) Best wishes for 2012! Have a safe & happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful year! Hope 2012 is just as great!

    ReplyDelete
  24. new to your blog and LOVED reading this recap of your year. your girl is absolutely gorgeous and you have a beautiful family.

    have a happy new year :)

    http://penelopeblue.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a wonderful year it has been! I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog back in march and even when you were going to go private- I was sooo hoping that I'd be ale to continue to follow- thank you for sharing and being such a wonderful blogger!! Happy 2012 friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm still jealous of the stuff you get couponing, do you guys get to stack coupons or double them up or whatever it's called? I have yet to snag deals as good as the ones you get.

    It's so funny to look back on your year with you, I remember your tweets about the AC and sitting in your car for relief - too funny! Hope this next year is as wonderful as the last.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for linking up to New Year, New Followers. I'm also a night shift RN and it's great to know there are other mama's who enjoy it as much as I do. Though I don't know how you survive on no sleep! Looks like you had a great year and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in 2012.

    http://firefly-chasing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fun post! i worked all kinds of shifts to be home with my babies...worked out well for the whole family! happy New Year! i am your new follower from the hop..pls follow back if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks like a great year!

    following from the blog hop...please stop by when you get the chance

    http://livinthemommylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great post! Fun way to look back. I regret stopping my blog while I was preggo and the first few months of her life because that's the time I can't remember anything and wish I had a record! Have a great weekend girl! ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  31. thank you for joining my blog hop! not to be creepy but you are absolutely gorgeous! and so is your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy new year hun! Have a good one ok?

    Followed. Hope you don't mind. Maybe you'll visit me someday too.

    ♥ www.thebookness.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful family you have!

    Visit my blog, I'm hosting a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So happy to be following from the New Year New Followers Blog Hop! I hope to see you around the bloggie world sometime soon:)

    http://elizakprints.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just found your blog! I love it :) You have a beautiful family!

    Hope 2012 is just as wonderful as 2011 was!

    http://breeeex33.blogspot.com
    Breanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. New Reader loving your blog. What an adorable family. Will def be following in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Seems like a great year!! :)
    What are your tips for couponing, making extra money, etc? I want to learn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love your little recap. Hilarious that you put your discovering Bud Light Lime...LOVE IT!! A girl after my own heart :)
    I LOVE Heinken Light...a 24 bottle pack is super cheap at Costco too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great recap, it sounds like you guys had an awesome year. Sometimes nothing major has to happen because the little things can be the big things!! :) Random question... but what type of camera do you use because your pictures come out great!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is pretty much my timeline but for 2012! My daughter was born October 30 2011 and I will also be turning 25 in the summer!

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye