Thursday, November 28, 2013

Things that make me happy--things that I am thankful for--just the little things in life.

I am most importantly thankful for my health, my family, a roof over our heads, and a Jesus that loves me unconditionally. I am grateful for this life, and there is no doubt about it. However, there are little things that I like to reflect on that I am thankful for. Things in life that pick us up. Things in life that make us smile. Things in life that are gifts and surprises and just plain happy.

Things are good to be thankful for as well. For instance:

I'm thankful for

White chocolate mocha from McDonalds, and being able to go grocery shopping while the kids nap {and husband is home with them}, and pick one of these suckers up on the way. I can't stop talking about it. I went through the drive-thru the other day to order a PSL and the man kindly reminded me that they no longer carry those. That was when he recommended the WCM to me, and I went for it. Best decision I ever made.


The site of Christmas in our house. The sound of Christmas music in our house. And all the fun that is to come. I have been in Christmas mode lately {who isn't}, and although I do respect Thanksgiving {and holding off from putting up the big tree until after}, I still can't help but sneak in a few things here and there. We hung up our advent calendar the other day, and also surprised the kids by having them put up their little Christmas trees in their room. Elliana is over-the-top-obsessed and that makes my holiday heart very very happy. I imagine that as she gets older, she will be my little helper. Who am I kidding here, she already is!

My two children playing quietly together. During their 20 minute i-pad allowance, I sometimes find myself sitting there just watching them. So quiet. It's rare for them to be this quiet. It's amazing though when they are. It's even more amazing to think that they are actually mine. That I grew these babies inside of me. That they are a part of Andrew and I, look like us, and act like us, and will one day to grow up to be parents--just like us. It's amazing to watch the love between them. The way my daughter lights up to see her brother. The way she hugs and kisses on him, as well as put him in a headlock. I know that she will be just as excited for the day that he is able to show her that affection back just as we are.

Baby books--pictures. I am so thankful that we live in a world where we can capture moments and hold on to those moments in the form of a picture. That these pictures have the ability to bring us back into those moments, those feelings at that present time, and allow us to close our eyes and remember. I was sitting on the couch the other day while the kiddos watched a Christmas movie {that's all we do is watch Christmas movies these days}, and I decided to look back on an album I made out of our iphone pictures {I use walgreens.com & shutterfly by the way}. Even though the album I was looking at was from earlier this year, I still couldn't believe how much had changed throughout the course of the past 10 months. A lot. I smiled from ear to ear, and even shed a few tears as I saw precious moments like our time in the hospital after G was born. I know that if I feel the way that I feel today looking at these images, I can only imagine how I will feel 20 years from now.

Being able to dress up. I just don't do it enough.  I rarely spend money on myself these days, and my closet has just been blah to me. I really just need to go on a shopping spree and get rid of everything, but again...I just can't bring myself to do it. I'd rather spend it on these little mini-me's and their adorable little attires. Sigh. The life of a parent.

My girl. My girl who has been a rockstar this past year. My girl who has been my biggest helper throughout the day. G has been teething a lot lately {at least that is what I am blaming it on lately}, and literally does not leave my side. He plays for a little while and then crawls up my leg to be held. I embrace the hugs and kisses and snuggles, but I know my kitchen, laundry, and overall house does not. The thing about E is that she is so patient. She may want to read a book, and in the middle of reading that book is when G decides he wants me and wants me right away. She waits. She waits until he is settled down and then we get back to reading. She helps bring me his diapers. She helps to pick things up and throw them in the trash. She is just such an amazing little girl and has just grown so much in the role of being a big sister. And oldest child.

Girls night. I know I don't do this enough {ever}, and I know I should do this more, but I really enjoy having the time to be able to get away for a few hours and enjoy girl time. Or date night with my man. Sometimes having the opportunity to dress up outside of my mom role, have a few adult beverages, and enjoy adult conversation {outside of work} is really really nice. A group of girls from work went to go see Wicked last Tuesday and I had so much fun. So much fun that I ended up falling asleep during the second half of the show {talk about mom exhaustion}. Either way, I will definitely try to squeeze in things like that more often. Definitely thankful for those opportunities.

This handsome stud. I know that everyone says that their spouse is their best friend, but this guy is far beyond that. Gosh he knows me well. Gosh he loves me hard. And gosh he is just a great person. We have our moments {where I want to wrangle his neck}, but God really knew what He was doing when he put Andrew in my life. I don't think there is anyone out there that could deal with ME {all of me} the way he does. And my family would probably tell you the same thing. So his birthday is coming up, as well as our dating anniversary {8 years!}, and I hope to make it a really really REALLY good one.

This boy for being so darn cute and lovable. I know that I mentioned earlier that my daughter has been so helpful while G has been extra needy, but I also have to say that I am so happy that the two of them are in different ages of their lives. That although little miss is independent and helpful, she is also very... INDEPENDENT and helpful. Which means sass comes along with all that. It's nice then to turn around and have this baby that is all smiles and giggles and just wants to eat my face off. As I do his. So yeah, the balance is good. Plus, have you see his stud muffin look? I mean..... I've gone crazy in shopping for this little guy lately. For the first 10 months of his life he lived in onesies and sweats. Now he gets to finally dress up... and I secretly love dressing a boy more than a girl.


I hope everyone out there is thankful this season. There may be things that aren't going our way. There may be things and times that could be better in our lives. There may be sadness and pain that we just don't know how to take away. There will always be things {and people} that will make us question ourselves and try to take away from the good things in life. But remember, there is always something and someone to be thankful for. Always. That while we may not know it and while we may not see it right away, there is always happiness around us waiting for us to embrace it.

I am thankful this season for every breath that I have been allowed to take, and for every moment I have on this Earth with my family.

That is all I need, and it is all I have to live for.

Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little family you have! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy thanksgiving!! so glad I'm not the only one limiting ipad use :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay mama! Graham is killing me in that last pic!!!!! O.M.G!!! Love him! They are growing so BIG!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that you can generate dollars by locking premium pages of your blog or website?
    All you need to do is to join Mgcash and add their Content Locking tool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your guidance and support.Thank you for providing such a valuable information, To get more information ed pills from champix.

    ReplyDelete


 photo copyright.jpg
blogger template by envye